Sunday, April 26, 2015

Day 111-116: 21-26 April 2015

Hello Everyone!

I am so sorry about not posting over the last week, I have been so busy with school and then I went out of town with my mom over the weekend to Washington DC. It has been a hectic week, I have had presentations and project and papers due. I have been rushing to get everything done in time so that I can start studying for my finals that begin on Saturday. Luckily most of my work is done for now and I can focus on studying but I still have 2 papers to worry about. This past weekend was a lot of fun, I got the chance to get out of town for at least 24 hours and go see some parts of DC that I haven’t seen and some old favorites. So because the beginning of my week was boring and revolved around school, I’m going to tell you all about my 24 hours in DC!

So I came home on Thursday night because we would be leaving for DC when I normally would have class. So that morning I woke up and got myself together and finished packing all of the essentials for the trip. Then once that was done I made some lunch and waited for my mom to get home from her eye doctor appointment, while I was waiting the lady we were riding with showed up with her daughter. We talked for a few minutes while we waited for my mom to show up and when she did we loaded all of our belongings into the car and made our way towards DC. I had to sit in the back with her daughter which was awful because I get car sick when I’m stuck in the back seat so I pumped myself full of drugs to help me get through the 3.5 hour car ride. The drive wasn’t too bad but once we got close to DC we hit some traffic and that didn’t help with my motion sickness. Luckily after driving through rush hour in DC on a Friday we made it to our hotel and we checked in. We only had time to drop off our belongings and use the bathroom before we had to meet everyone in the lobby to begin our festivities. Once we met up with our group of 13 people we all set off for the monuments. It was about 7pm and we walked all the mile from our hotel to the White House. When we got there we took some pictures and looked around before making our way to the Washington Monument, after that we walked to the WWII monument which is my absolute favorite monument. I could sit and look at it for hours and not get bored, I took plenty of pictures and I walked all the way around it just listening to the fountains and enjoying the calm feeling I had there. Unfortunately I couldn’t stay there and we had to keep moving on, and we ended up at the Korean War memorial. My grandfather fought in that war so my mom and I paid our respects and walked through the memorial and it is a beautiful as well. All the monuments in DC are beautiful and they just make you feel calm. After that one we went to the Lincoln monument and he is my favorite president so I always enjoy looking up at the giant statue of him and think of what it would’ve been like to know him. After we finished there we all decided to go eat some dinner at 9:00 at night… and instead of walking we were going to take taxis. But with 13 people it’s hard to find enough taxis to fit us all, so we split up into two taxis there was 4 people in a small cab and 9 people in a van which is illegal since there are only 7 seats but we made it work and we only went a short distance. At dinner, all those old enough ordered alcoholic beverages because it had been a long day, and our food took a while to get to us so we didn’t eat until close to 10. The salmon I ordered was awful, it was overcooked and the potatoes weren’t that great and they didn’t even give me the vegetables I ordered. It was a nightmare and I just wanted to go to bed. So after dinner we took a cab and went back to the hotel where I got ready for bed as fast as possible and I was asleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

The next day we ate breakfast at the hotel before walking to the closest Starbucks for some good coffee, after that we walked to the National History Museum and spent 4 hours in there exploring all of the exhibits and different rooms they had there. I’m a huge history nerd so I was loving all of the exhibits, in one of the exhibits was the Hall of Mammals and they had a sloth. Sloths are my favorite animal so I had to see if they had one in the gift shop that I could buy because I have never been able to find a stuffed animal sloth before and they did! I was so excited that I bought it right away and I named him Simon. He is so cute a fluffy, he makes me so happy. Then after spending so much time there and eating lunch in their fancy cafĂ© we went next door to the American History museum where they have everything from the first lady’s inaugural dresses to the red slippers from the Wizard of Oz and the first American flag from the 1800’s. It was awesome to look around that museum but at that point in the day my feet and my back were killing me and I was ready to get going. We had spent over 3 hours in that museum along with the 4 hours at the other and I had woken up around 6:30, so I was exhausted. Luckily at that point we all were tired and we got taxis back to the hotel and we all got in our cars and made our way out of DC. We stopped in Richmond for dinner a few hours later and my food there was fantastic and made up for the crappy dinner I had the previous day. After dinner we only had an hour left before we would make it home, so we powered through the rain and we got home around 11:00pm. I was exhausted and I grabbed all of the stuff and went to my room as fast as my tired legs could take me and I threw my stuff on the floor and kicked my shoes off before getting dressed for bed. The minute I laid down in my bed I was gone!

Then today I didn’t do much, other than drive back to school like I usually do! This week coming up is another hectic week so I probably won’t blog much until I am done with school on the 6th of May so just hang in there with me y’all! Y’all are the best and I hope you have a wonderful week!


Thanks for reading xoxo Lashleigh 

No comments:

Post a Comment